Want to be our first software engineer?
We’re hiring! Tell your friends, or click here to apply yourself.
Who we are:
Where is your electricity coming from right now? Sometimes it’s fossil fuels, other times it’s renewables—and WattTime can tell you which. WattTime is a nonprofit startup that’s fighting climate change by making it easy to use energy when it’s cleanest. The first “WattTime-enabled” product, the JuiceBox Green, is the one and only clean electric vehicle charging station.
What you’ll do:
As WattTime’s first full-time software engineer, you’ll help us extend and scale our platform to support our next wave of partners: smart thermostats and smart buildings! You’ll start with our well-tested Python platform that connects real-time electricity grid data to IoT devices. You’ll get to work across the stack: from optimizing the backend with Postgres, Celery, and Pandas, to crafting customer-facing features with Django Rest Framework and your favorite front-end tools.
What you bring:
A few years of on-the-job experience with:
- Rapid and robust software engineering, particularly Python/Django
- Database design and management, particularly time-series data
- Cloud hosting and devops, particularly Heroku or AWS
- User-centered product development, particularly API/platform products
Bonus points if you also like:
- Front-end design and development
- Machine learning and optimization
- Open source community building
- Cleantech, renewable energy, building automation, IoT
What you believe:
- I’m pragmatic: I like to focus on building the things that make this product unique, and I prefer to use existing high-quality tools/services/packages for the rest
- I’m flexible: I enjoy pitching in, and I’m not fazed when the plan changes
- I’m an engineer: Whether prototype or production, I feel good about my work when it’s reliable, transparent, repurposable, and able to withstand the pressures I’ve anticipated
- I’m passionate: For my next position, I’ll choose a big impact over a big payout
- I’m collaborative: I’m excited to join a team of nice folks and help our partners succeed
What you’ll get:
- The chance to build software that can make a huge difference for climate change!
- A valued role on our small distributed team of dedicated, energetic cleantechies
- Close collaboration with the CTO and influence on technical direction
- Fantastic brand-new office space near BART in downtown Oakland, or near the Red Line in downtown Boston
- Competitive compensation, health insurance, and flexible hours
This is a full-time position, negotiable as a 6-month contract or regular hire. We prefer candidates based in the Bay Area, Boston, Seattle, or Chicago. People from underrepresented groups, including people of color, women, and/or LGBT, are strongly welcomed!
Apply here: https://watttime.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0hb2i/
And let Anna know if you have any questions!